On 8 September 2020, Chris was involved in a freak accident which caused a fire to take hold in a large garage at our property. After a long 2.5 hour wait from the initial 999 call, Chris was airlifted to hospital, where he was found to have sustained burns to nearly 40% of his body. The story of the delay for his treatment be read here: BBC news article
So far he has endured a horrendous recovery journey. After one week in a coma he contracted pneumonia and his lungs collapsed, so he was placed on a life support machine with 50/50 chance of survival. He remained in a coma for a month.
He has had skin grafts on the deepest burn injuries and is now in the burns unit receiving physiotherapy and rehab to try and regain use of his hands.
He will be in hospital for a long time to receive ongoing treatment and rehabilitation. And this journey will continue for the rest of his life.
Chris is the most hard working, generous and fun-loving person I have ever met, with a heart of gold and will go out of his way to help anyone and everyone. The fire has not only taken his health, but has destroyed the garage, his tools and equipment - a majority of which were not covered by our insurance. Any donations received will be truly appreciated to help Chris get back on his feet, help with any ongoing treatment required, replace lost items and get our home prepared for his return.
- Steve Gunnis
- anthony sangwine-gould
- Tony Canvin
- Jane Boyd
- Louis Martin
#1 fundraising platform
People have raised more money on GoFundMe than anywhere else. Learn more
In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more